Love science, nature, elementary education, and social justice? Want to make meaningful change in the world?
Join our AmeriCorps program and teach science and environmental education in urban schools! Education Outside is looking to hire for two instructor positions, open until filled. Please send resumes to .
Who we’re looking for
- Gutsy, energetic folks with a positive attitude and a can-do spirit
- Independent self-starters who also understand the value of teamwork
- Curious, lifelong learners open to growing and developing their skills
- Great communicators who enjoy building community and making connections
- Bright, passionate people who are ready to dedicate two years of their lives to service
Working in a fast-paced public school and with elementary-aged kids is not for the faint of heart, so you should be flexible, able to think on your feet, and know when to stand firm and when to go with the flow.
We value connections to the communities we are part of and look to empower local leaders.
We strive for a service corps that reflects the diversity of the students we serve, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and underrepresented populations. Spanish- or Chinese-language proficiency is a bonus (but not required).
How it works
Each Education Outside instructor is an AmeriCorps service member and is assigned to a San Francisco elementary school for two one-year terms of service.
This is a full-time position starting in August, when we begin training, and ending in June after the end of the school year and upon completion of 1700 hours. Depending on service member performance, match, and completion of hours, there is a break in July before beginning a second term.
Mondays through Thursdays are dedicated to teaching in the outdoor classroom at your school site and guiding outdoor education and other efforts with the community, including sustainability initiatives, garden workdays, and more. Fridays are reserved for professional development and school site administration.
As a service member, you will serve at your school site, becoming part of the school and staff community. You will also be part of an Education Outside service member cohort, which means you’ll have a group of peers for support as you learn and grow together. You will also have the support and mentorship of your dedicated program manager and the Education Outside team. Our program is designed to meet the critical needs of our community and to support our members’ development and leadership.
"My experience as a Corps member has been challenging, powerful, and incredibly rewarding. It is easily the most educational and rewarding position I've ever had the opportunity to experience. I have grown as an environmental educator and grown more passionate about this field of work with each passing day."
Where you'll serve
Our program currently operates in San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD), which has more than 80 green schoolyards—and you will be the steward of one of them! SFUSD is a large, ethnically diverse district, with a high percentage of low-income children and many English-language learners. Education Outside corps members must be committed to social justice and have cultivated or be willing to cultivate cultural competence and humility. In addition, some of our schools offer language-immersion programs, where instruction is given in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or Korean, as well as in English. To learn more about SFUSD, please visit their website.
What you’ll get
- A $25,000 annual stipend (paid biweekly) for your 1,700 hours of service.
- A $5,730 Education Award upon successfully completing the program. Learn more.
- Eligibility to postpone or defer qualified student loans and to have student loan interest paid for the duration of your service. Learn more.
- Eligibility for the Child Care Benefit Program. Learn more.
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Approximately 300 hours of training and professional development in areas including garden-based education, leadership for community engagement, horticulture and garden design, and more. Learn more about our Professional Development program here.
- Support and mentorship from your dedicated program manager and from the Education Outside team. Meet our team.
- The chance to be part of the AmeriCorps network and the nation’s first science-and-sustainability service corps.
- An incredible, life-changing experience!
- 17 years old or older
- HS diploma/GED, college degree, or equivalent experience
- Ability to work in the US
How to Apply
Our online application is now closed for the 2016-2017 school year.
Want to learn more?
- Check out the presentation from our info session.
- Volunteer with us and get a taste of what we do.
- Meet our current and past corps members.
- Read about what our members are up to on our blog.
- Look at a sample lesson.
- Join our newsletter.
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Check out our Day in the Life video!
January 7, 2016: Application open!
March 31 April 3: Applications due.
April: First and second-round interviews.
May: Final selections and hiring.
August: Boot camp orientation begins.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is an 11-month national service commitment that meets a community’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Education Outside partners with AmeriCorps to provide full-time service opportunities in San Francisco supporting communities’ critical needs in education. Education Outside AmeriCorps members dedicate 1700 hours of service per term in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living stipend supported by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector. For more information, click here.
Do you offer housing?
Unfortunately, we do not offer housing. If selected for the position, we will provide you with resources to help you in your search, if you are not from San Francisco.
I’ve served as an AmeriCorps member before. Can I still apply to the Education Outside program?
Yes! You can serve up to four terms as an AmeriCorps member. However, please note that you can only receive the Segal Education Award for up to two terms.
For more information about eligibility to serve multiple times, please visit this page on AmeriCorps website and scroll down through the questions.
For more frequently asked questions, please check out the presentation from our info session.
If you have any questions or comments, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 415-355-6979 ext 1566.